And baby makes three (or five...or seven)

Monday, March 27, 2006

Stop - Nanny Time!

It's been a busy few weeks here at the baby-makes-three household. One of the biggest developments has been that we hired a nanny to come to the house once a week and help with lil a. She currently works with a friend of ours two days a week and was willing to take up one more day a week to help us out.

As I've described before, I work at home full time. The idea is that the nanny will come the same day each week. This way, I can tell work that Tuesday is the day that I'm available to come in at a whim.

So, she starts tomorrow. Of course, it turns out that literally all my scheduled work appointments are on days other than Tuesdays. Now I'm wondering if this arrangement really makes sense.

Also, everyone keeps telling me that I need to do a background check. I was looking into mybackgroundcheck.com as an option. Basically, she can login and fill out all her information and it will email her the results. Otherwise I'll have to collect all the pertinent information from her and get her to sign a release so I can perform the check. It seems kind of complicated.

I guess we'll just play it by ear for right now. I plan on being home with her for the first few weeks to see how she interacts with lil a. I've even considered rigging up a nanny cam when I'm gone for the first time.

3 Comments:

  • Relax a little. If she works for a friend of yours, you know she is safe and basically reliable. Call her references,, get her phone numbers and relax a little. I for one am always up for a nanny cam, on the condition that it is not in the bathroom :) and I usually end up with a bonus for my daily work as a result, but you shouldn't go into this nanny-mom relationships with huge fears and doubt, if you get a vibe about her that you dont like, dont hire her.
    Talk to her, call etc, but don't go into this thinking she is a criminal.
    Spend one Tuesday at home while she is there, if she is good enough, you will be able to tell. But, before you do anything, talk to your friend about her..in depth and then talk to her.

    By Blogger Nanny, at 9:53 AM  

  • nnany louise, thanks for the advice. I sort of feel the same way too -- I liked her a lot and I felt really comfortable around her. It's my family that makes me feel like I should do more to make sure she's "OK". Of course, they watch way too much "Dateline" episodes where the Nanny turns out to abuse the kids, even after the parents did a full background check.

    I figure I'll be here most of the time, so I should be able to tell if things are working out ok.

    By Blogger Megan, at 9:59 AM  

  • I'm not a parent, but I say trust your instincts. Too often people try to give what they think is sound advice. You know what's best. If she's a bad fit for you, you'll know.

    By Blogger Terra, at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home