And baby makes three (or five...or seven)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Waffle: 1989 - 2006


We got Waffle when I was about 11 or 12. At the time, we lived in Oxford, PA, a very small town in the heart of Amish country. My neighbor had a cat named Pancake so, in order to keep with the theme, we named our new kitten Waffle.

She was a quirky cat, as most cats are. When I moved away to college many years later, she eventually made the trip with me. She was often found lying in the sink, waiting for me to turn on the faucet so she could lap up some fresh water.

All night, she'd be up and about, knocking things off the dresser and waking you up. If you had your hand hanging off the bed, she rub up against it in the morning. She was a good cat.

In 1998, she was lovingly adopted by my best friend Lorelle when Eno and I went to Spain for the summer. They bonded while we were gone and Lorelle graciously agreed to keep her, since our new apartment wouldn't allow pets. (For years we've had an ongoing joke about whether I abandoned her or Lorelle stole her.)

There she lived for many happy years. Lorelle took the best care of her, even added a few kitty friends for her to play with.

A few weeks ago, Eno and I went to visit. Waffle was still doing well, but getting noticeably older and weaker. She was much smaller than I remember.

Last week, she got very ill and was no longer able to eat or play. Lorelle took her to the vet and they decided it was time.

Rest in peace, Waffleopolis. I hope there's a giant sink with a never-ending faucet drip with your name on it.

2 Comments:

  • Your story made me cry. Thank you for such a great tribute of Waffle!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 PM  

  • Made me cry, too and I never even met her. Although, I'm a huge sap. She sounded like a good kitty.

    Maybe if you have a photo, you could upload it here: http://catsinsinks.com/ in memorial?

    She had a good run of it and it sounds like she was well loved. What more can any of us ask for?

    By Blogger Terra, at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home