And baby makes three (or five...or seven)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

To all the naysayers...

If you're an avid reader of this blog (hi mom), you'll remember how I've been filled with anxiety about working at home and watching the baby at the same time. I was always worried about the next stage in his development (rolling over, standing, and the previously-unknown crawalking stage) and how it would impact my ability to do both jobs at the same time. And people I talked to about it didn't assuage my fears at all. They'd say things like "Oh, do you work at home still? Just wait 'til he starts rolling over..." or "Wait until he starts crawling..." or "Wait until he starts crawalking." (Oh wait, no one ever said that last one.)

Well, as it turns out, at least at this juncture, things have gotten a little bit easier in some ways. Sure, his mobility changed EVERYTHING, but change isn't always bad. Now, after creating the Safe Zone™, he'll play independently for long periods of time (under my watchful eye of course). I can work and watch him...even feed him while IMing and answering emails, even writing code. Not a bad deal, so far.

I'm still worried about what adjustments we'll have to make as each stage comes and goes, but I'm starting to become more confident that we'll be able to find a way to make it work. So far so good, right?

[Completely unrelated side-note: references to "mobility" remind me of those Scooter Store commercials on during the Price is Right. (If you have limited mobility...) What? No, I don't watch TV during the day...I'm way to busy working/momming for that. (cough)]

1 Comments:

  • Meg, I'm glad to hear it is reasonably working out. It makes me so sad when I see kids going to day care where they won't see either parent for nearly 8-10 hours a day sometimes (depending on the people of course). What's sad about this in my mind, is that the kids are spending more time with their "day care family" than with their own parents. For goodness sakes, the only time the parents even see their kids are during breakfast and dinner. Family time? Yeah right!

    I remember a story by my wife that certain kids at her mom's day care actually referred to her mom as "Mom" instead of their own mother. Sad, but true. I only wish this wasn't the trend.

    With all that said, it brings a smile to my face to see a working mother spending so much time with her kid(s) :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home